Confetti Egg Salad

Makes about 7 to 8 cups - Adapted from The Artist's Palate

This is a fun dish for a picnic or potluck and makes a great after school snack. I love to keep it on hand during lambing season, when mealtimes can be erratic and you never know how long a trip to the barn is going to take. The recipe notes in The Artist's Palate say it's a nice dish for a picnic or a children's party.

I love how the eggs are grated rather than chopped or sliced. This takes a little more time than using an egg slicer, but it gives the salad a completely different, and very nice, spread-like texture. I added the scallions and parsley for even more confetti color and flavor.

The original version simply calls for 'salami.' I usually use our homegrown lamb salami, which comes in a small chub and is what I call summer sausage because I grew up near San Francisco and the only type of salami I knew was hard Italian dry. I think any type of salami or summer sausage would do.

12 hardboiled eggs, grated (I use the large holes on a stainless steel box grater)
1 can black olives (drained weight 6 ounces), drained and chopped
1 4-ounce jar chopped pimentos (scant 1/2 cup)
4 to 8 ounces salami, diced (about 1 to 2 scant cups)
6 scallions (green onions), chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3/4 to 1 cup mayonnaise (I'm a Hellman's girl)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, olives, pimentos, 4 ounces of the salami, scallions, and parsley. Stir in 3/4 cup of the mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the remaining 1/4 cup of mayonnaise and/or another 4 ounces of salami if desired.

Spread on crackers, use as a sandwich filling, or simply eat it straight out of a little dish with a spoon. Tastes even better if made ahead of time and allowed to chill for a couple of hours before serving.

Recipe source: FarmgirlFare.com